Taxicab Permit Program
Taxicab Business Permit - Requirements
The following requirements must be completed before you are allowed to operate a taxi business in the City of San Leandro.
- Written evidence of insurance for all vehicles that will be used in the City of San Leandro. The certificate shall include a complete list of the vehicles covered and shall include vehicle identification numbers and vehicle license plate numbers. The policy must insure each taxicab and its drivers against personal injury, property damage (automobile liability) and general liability, each in the amount of One Million Dollars ($1,000,000). The City shall be named as an additional insured; or where not yet issued, the written statement from an insurer that such insurance policies will be issued if the application is granted.
"Best's Key Rating Guide" - All insurance shall be issued by a company or companies admitted to do business in California and listed in the current "Best's key Rating Guide" publication with a minimum rating of A:VIII.
- Submit copies of current California vehicle registrations for all vehicles. Applicant has to be the registered owner or lessee of each vehicle.
- A copy of any taxicab license, permit or certificate issued to the applicant by any public authority within the previous five (5) years.
- A copy of the taxicab meter inspection certificates provided by the Alameda County Office of Weights and Measures for each taxicab the company proposes to put into service within the City.
- A completed taxicab inspection form showing each vehicle has successfully passed the lamp, brake, and smog inspection by a licensed mechanic.
- A completed and approved San Leandro Police Department Taxicab Inspection Form.
- A sworn statement that each vehicle is in safe operating condition, made by either the proprietor of a public garage engaged in auto repair who is licensed by the State of California, or by a mechanic licensed by the State of California and employed by the applicant, who has inspected and examined such vehicles.
- A complete schedule of fares or rates to be charged and services to be offered.
- Applicant's certification and supporting documentation that he or she maintains a mandatory controlled substance and alcohol testing certification program conforming to Government Code Section 53075.5 and Part 40 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations for all drivers of vehicles that will be operated under the permit.
- A copy of your company's controlled substance and alcohol policy.
- Submit a photograph of the color scheme, name, monogram or insignia that will appear on the vehicles.
- Submit a completed Business License Application Form and payment of fees. There is a base fee for the business license plus a unit fee for each owner/driver in San Leandro (see Fee Schedule). If the company is located in San Leandro, a zoning application and fees are also required.
- Submit a completed Taxicab Business Permit Application and payment of fees. The Taxi Company Permit fee is $100.00 with an annual renewal fee of $50.00.
- Submit fees for Owner's fingerprints and background check, plus San Leandro Police Department administrative fees, which are required and will be processed by the San Leandro Police Department.
Everyone that will drive your taxicabs must have a City of San Leandro Taxicab Driver's Permit.
In an effort to provide an efficient, consistent and comprehensive taxicab inspection the San Leandro Police Department will conduct all taxicab inspections once a year. New applicants, applying for a taxicab business permit, may schedule an appointment if applying after the scheduled taxicab inspection date.
Each taxicab in the applicant’s taxi service’s fleet must be inspected by a designated member of the San Leandro Police Department to ensure compliance and each taxicab must be inspected on an annual basis. The San Leandro Police Department will schedule the annual inspection and notify the taxi service by letter 30-60 days prior to the inspection date.
Taxicab inspections are mandatory and required to complete the taxicab business permit process. A completed and approved San Leandro Police Department taxicab inspection form is required.
Taxicab inspections are scheduled for Tuesday January 15, 2019, between 08:00am – 12:00pm at Pacific Rec Complex – 2451 Teagarden St San Leandro, CA.
Upon arriving at the designated inspection site, the applicant must present the following documents for each vehicle to be inspected.
- Taxicab inspection form: top section completed by the applicant; middle section completed and signed by a licensed mechanic; bottom section to be completed by inspecting officer
- Valid registration card for each vehicle
- Proof of valid insurance for each vehicle
- Approved weights and measures certificate
The applicant MUST have the documents listed above to complete the inspection process.